I remember the day we got him, 10 years ago. He came bounding up to us, a little black ball of fur, eager to love and to be loved. Really, he chose us and we never had any say in the matter.
We named him Zorro. Yes. We named a dog the Spanish word for fox. I was never really good at Spanish. He went from a small puppy to very large dog in a remarkably short time. Now, all dogs get into trouble but the mishaps Zorro got himself into were as epic as his size. A tantrum one day resulted in a curtain being pulled outside the window and then torn in half. On another day, a cushion was mutilated and its insides spread across the lawn. He also took the whole ‘Mark of Zorro’ thing a bit too seriously as countless pieces of furniture still bear his teeth marks.
Despite the trouble he got into, he was one of the most loving and protective creatures. No one could venture outside without him shadowing them. He never attacked any small animals either, and was always mindful of our smaller dogs.Many who rang our doorbell once dared never to do it again, as the sight of a huge black dog, hurling his body at the gate, was incentive enough to hurry away. Although I do have a sneaking suspicion that he really just wanted to play with them.
He became more than just a pet or guard dog. He was part of the family. He was friend and confidante during my turbulent teenage years. He was the one constant in my life when everything seemed to be changing.
It was difficult to conceptualize a time when he wouldn’t be with us. Nevertheless, when his health began to get worse this year, I braced myself for what was coming. I thought when it finally did happen I wouldn’t cry. But I did. The news that he was gone hit me like icy water. My friend was gone. Our house was one of mourning for several days. A dog didn’t die. A family member did.
But, as my cousin Lucien told me, “What this dog deserves is the same loyalty to the years he gave to you to never be forgotten and still remain in your dreams”. He was the dog of my childhood, filling the years with wonderful, hilarious and tender memories. He was the best friend anyone could ever ask for. I shall never forget him.
He was a good dog.
No comments:
Post a Comment