Sunday, August 15, 2010

Going home

I went home today, to the place where I grew up. I went back for a wedding of one my old neighbours. I met a lot of relatives I hadn't seen in a while. You know what meeting long lost relatives is like. First, the question "Yuh remember meh?" to which the response is "Uhh...yeah...?" and hope you are not called upon to actually recall said relative's moniker.

Then "Oh lawd, look how dis chile grow!". I heard this one so many times that I am beginning to suspect that I was a midget as a child, and no one expected me to reach the grand height of 5'2".

The revelation that I had completed UWI was greeted with amazement. Evidently, I was also a duncey child.

And then there is the issue of fancy wedding clothes. Once you have donned such attire, it WILL rain. No ifs, ands or buts. It is going to rain. And if you have flat ironed your hair, your fate is sealed with the rain gods. My shoes now have a fabulous 2 inch coating of mud, and the hemline of my outfit is soaking.

However, I really did have a good time. I randomly met an old friend who I had not seen in about five years. It was fun to dress up (despite the rain and mud) and pretend I was a Bollywood star for a while. And it is always nice to go back to the place you grew up, because it would not do to forget where you came from.

2 comments: