The art of letter writing is dead. Facebook killed it.
Really. When was the last time you got a letter? And I am not referring to bank statements or anything from UWI or similar institutions. I mean one of those letters that start "Dear (your name here)" and end "Sincerely, (your friend's name)". A long time ago right? Like maybe when you were eight and actually had a penpal. And when last did you send a letter? Cover letters on resumes do not count. I'm pretty sure it's been a while.
Because why bother writing a long letter when you can simply post two lines on someone's wall? Or poke them. Apparently poking is an acceptable means of acknowledgement. God forbid it becomes an accepted form of actual communication ("But I POKED you to let you know I love you!").
Letters are a tangible insight to someone's soul and thoughts. They are the closest thing to diary entries without actually invading that sort of personal space. They often last many years after the writers are gone...facebook wall posts, unfortunately, probably won't be around as accounts are deactivated and forgotten. Could you imagine our future grand children saying "Ohhhh....look at these totally romantic wall posts between my grandparents. Awww"? Yeah. I really can't imagine that either.
So. I am asking you to pick up your pen and write a letter. I don't care to whom. Your significant other. Your brother. Your friend who lives in the bush and probably doesn't have internet anyway.
I am looking for a penpal. Local would be awesome. Anyone interested just message me.
Let's keep it alive.
Yours Sincerely,
Cini
*considers writing Hancini a letter.
ReplyDeleteOh wait. of course. I can just comment here, and call it george :P
Dear Hanci,
ReplyDelete*leaves romantic comment on this blog*
Now there's something for your grandkids to aww after! lol j/k. By that thing writing would be obsolete and we'll all share one collective mind and communicate through out thoughts. lol
Life is all about change; out with the old - in with the new. Slower forms or commincation can't keep up with the faster medium and shorter attention span on today's people. For me, writing in letter format is just novelty. But I can appreciate the loss of sentimentality - which is essentially what you're pointing out. Romantics despair!
Love,
Ryan.
I think it has to do with the fact that these other media are more convenient and free whereas with snail mail we have to wait days to get it (if ttpost feels like delivering), have to find a post office to send it out and have to pay a tiny fee for stamps and envelopes and paper.
ReplyDeleteDear Friends,
ReplyDeleteI guess I'm an old soul and I miss the days of letter writing, afternoon tea and needlepoint lol... *sigh*.
LOL @ Ry's collective mind
My romantic side sheds a tear for the death of letters...
Sincerely,
Cini
When I was a kid, I used to write letters all the time, to my school friends, (who I'd see in school anyway), my cousins, and whatever. But they never wrote back, so I stopped :S
ReplyDeletehaha..that suckss....what pity for people who like to write...
ReplyDelete