Wednesday, July 14, 2010

The "Yew" generation

I am 21. Just 21. But I am old. I am old because I found myself saying the other day "Back in MY day, we NEVER did (insert thing that smallies do)". I am sure, however, that I am not the only person to feel this way. The younger generation is just plain WEIRD. I call this set of individuals the "yew" generation, as their defining characteristic is the spelling of the word 'you' to "yew". (I do not understand. It is not even a shorter version. It is actually harder to type).

How to define a member of the "yew" generation:

-They have lost the ability to spell. 'You' has become 'Yew' and 'gorgeous' has become 'gawjus'. An example of a sentence constructed by a member of this generation reads as follows "I lyk yew,cuz yew r gawjus" :|

-They have a never ending love affair with Converse. I like converse too, but I do not deck myself off with Converse shoes, hat, bag, tee shirt, wallet and whatever else that good store sells.

-They have a collective adoration for Justin Bieber, the Jonas Brothers and Miley Cyrus. Ugh. 'Nuff said.

-They often like mixing capital and common letters when typing. For example "I LyK JuStiN BIeBer, hE iZ TeW KEWl, Do yEw lYk hiM TeW?"
Wow. Typing that was really quite difficult. I cannot fathom why anyone would type like that on a regular basis.

-They (the girls at least) worship upon the alter of Stephanie Meyer. These fangirls pop up anywhere those sparkly vamps are mentioned. Beware. Expression of the opinion "Edward is gay" might result in your head being torn off. Their devotion is THAT fanatical.

Despite all this, I cannot damn that generation to an eternity of bad music, bad novels and horrific spelling. There is hope for them. Perhaps one day someone will accidentally come across an Anne Rice novel and realize Twilight is really lame. Maybe they will get a taste of System of a Down and delete Justin Bieber from their iPods. And besides, I'm pretty sure the generations preceding US thought we were utterly hopeless.

And we turned out kind of okay.

4 comments:

  1. haha *nuff said, but might i add, that not ALL smallies follow "yewism". your sister is a smallie renegade. or at least tries to be ... :$

    ReplyDelete
  2. LoL I ToT@LlY aGr33! No seriously, i do. Although the witching hour was a bit too scary for my taste :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW! I absolutely agree... I don't get them at all.. i think all these things started out as mistakes somebody made while using a blackberry and the others somehow thought it looked cool and wanted to follow :S
    They worry me... to think the future of the world in in their hands.

    ReplyDelete
  4. hahaha...I feel so too...I can't type on a screen to save my life so I could see how that could happen..it's sooo irritating to read :/

    ReplyDelete