Twilight. I tried to like it. Really, I did. I told the haters not to judge the book by the apple on its cover. I tried to convince myself that Edward was not really as creepy as he seemed. I told myself that Bella had abilities that extended beyond falling, getting attacked and juggling two guys (poorly).
But it was to no avail. Edward really is creepy and stalker-ish. How would you feel if someone was watching you sleep every night, while thinking what a great midnight snack you'd make? And yes, Bella gets her shield ability in Breaking Dawn. But only after a large amount of screaming and damsel in distress moments. And why oh WHY would anyone want a vampire to sparkle? It seems very pointless.
Jacob is the series' only redeeming quality. He has a bit more personality than the others. And he gets to sleep.
But the real hammer on the nail of Twilight's coffin came when I began reading 'The Vampire Diaries'(which was released in 1991). I began seeing some odd similarities. Stefan is like Edward with the whole "I'm a thing of evil , don't come near me fair maiden, I want to save your soul" thing. I can excuse this, as the character type is not entirely unusual- a somewhat fallen hero. However, I stumbled across a "Diaries" character called Bonnie. She was psychic and often made predictions. Hmmm. Sounds a bit like the vampire Alice, no? They even look alike, both being small and pixie like. The female protagonist of "Diaries", like Bella, is torn between two guys. And then there is True Blood. Sookie can read others' minds, but then meets a vampire whose mind she cannot read. Wow! The SAME thing like happened to Bella and Edward!! *Twyhard squeal*
Are you feeling a sense of deja vu? Deep distress at the sparkling? Regret that you spent approximately $400 on these books? I know I am.
There's different ways to spend $400,- but don't see it as something bad, you liked it when it first started; the hype brought it all down and now your fed up. Thats all right, it was meant to happen someday!
ReplyDeleteSame goes to the numerous Harry Potter Books, movies,board/video/card games and many other useless franchise to keep the story and bidders alive.
They feed on your time and money and leave you with a tast of guilt - "Don't feed the Troll or it will grow even more 'till you can't stop it"
I actually lovee Harry Potter....Twilight was ok until i realised the author took ideas wholesale from other books...I guess i felt a bit cheated
ReplyDelete