Friday, July 16, 2010

The Stages of the Common Cold

I have been afflicted with this terrible thing called the Cold. I do not know where I got it, or when I shall be cured. *Sigh*.

1. Denial- Slight sniffling and possible sore throat are detected. These are ignored. The individual cannot possibly have the cold as they believe themselves to be immune. Non-existent dust in the atmosphere is blamed.

2. Anger- Sneezing and coughing are experienced. Denial cannot continue and rage at this terrible occurrence ensues. “Why?? Why am I sick??” and “Who gave me the cold??? I WILL GET THEM!!” are common phrases uttered during this stage.

3. Bargaining- The individual is weak and feverish and will do anything to get better. They attempt bargaining with a higher power-usually NyQuil or Panadol Multi Symptom-to cure them quickly.

4. Depression- The individual recognizes that he/she will not be cured instantly and probably won’t make it to that lime on Saturday night. Hopelessness and tears set in. At this point the cold-stricken person has no energy to act like a human and resigns themselves to a bed (or a couch near a TV) permanently.

5. Acceptance- The unfortunate person has finally accepted that they have fallen victim to the Common Cold. By this time however, congestion clears, indicating a recovery.

No comments:

Post a Comment